Ability to design structures and foundations.
Understanding of geological properties and soil mechanics. Software dimensioning.
Campus-based learning format
Core Competencies (CC): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.
General Competencies (GC): 4,5,6
Cross-Disciplinary Competencies (CDC): 1,2,4,5,6,7,9,10
Specific Competencies (SC): 12, 13, 14, 16, 17, 31, 32, 39, 44
-Dimensioning of composite and pre-stressed concrete structures
- Structural Typologies: Design and dimensioning of Frame structures, trusses and bracing systems.
- Design and dimensioning of various types of slabs: One-way and two-way slabs with prefabricated and cast in place elements.
- Introduction to Technical Standards (CTE, EHE)
- Geotechnical Engineering. Soil-Structure interaction. Elastic model of soil: Stresses on Soil and Earth pressures. Settlements and Deformation. Bearing Capacity Failure Criteria and Allowable Bearing Capacity.
- Soil Investigation: Soil report. Laboratory Testing. Data Interpretation
- Foundation Types: Shallow and deep foundations. Retaining elements.
- Special Foundations.
CONSTRUCTION PROJECT: STRUCTURAL DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION
- Design of structural members and reinforcement dimensioning. Placing of reinforcements and quartering details. Interpretación de planos. Planos de obra.
- Construction process: Siting of the structure, basic safety criteria, structural iron work, shoring, falsework and formwork, placing of reinforcement and spacers, concreting, control systems, setting, curing, formwork removal, welded and bolted connections.
- Valuation and quality control of structures, foundations and earthwork.
- Structural and foundation Pathology. Conclusions on design.
- Computer software commonly used to execute calculations.
Lecture based classes 0,5 ECTS
Group work, practical exercises and problem solving 2,5 ECTS
Independent study 2 ECTS
Advisory sessions, ongoing assessment and exams 1 ECTS
Exams on campus: 30% to 40%
Presentation of work: 60% to 70%
Rating System: Numerical ratings from 0,0 to 10,0 with a decimal expression.
See specific class program
Lecture based classes, conferences, master classes, site visits.
Case study method
Practice based learning